For those that of you that have been busy restoring OtherOS onto their PS3 systems, r04drunner does not think the current distro's of Linux are designed well for the proper usage on your Jailbroken PS3 Consoles and he is right, so to that end he has been very busy working on his own Red Ribbon package!
And now recently he has improved it one more step, once installed you be able to update it directly live from your PS3 online:Features:
This reallocation is based on the well-known Debian and has the following characteristics:
- Core system (Kernel) 06/02/1938 Graf_chokolo with modifications. It also includes a specific modification to Asbestos and derivatives Marcan patches.
- Swap (swap) main memory using the RSX.
- Swap (swap) using a secondary partition on the storage media.
- LXDE as the desktop.
- As Blueman Bluetooth manager. Once started, can use the device after you sync, such as a bluetooth keyboard.
- WICD as network connection manager.
- Pcmanfm as a file manager.
- LXTerminal as a console interface.
- Galculator as a calculator.
- LxMusic as audio file player.
- Leafpad as a simple text editor.
- Xarchiver as manager of archives.
- GPicView as an image viewer.
- MtPaint as a drawing tool.
- ePDFView as PDF file viewer.
- MPlayer media player.
- Samba as a service for sharing files over a network. To transfer files between the PC and PS3 by local network using shared folders.
- Xrdp as remote access server for RDP and VNC. Allows you to connect to the desktop of the PS3 from the PC using “Remote Desktop Connection” in Windows or a VNC client, such as “UltraVNC”.
- Remmina as remote access client for RDP and VNC. Allows you to connect from the PS3 to the PC if you have enabled “Remote Desktop” in Windows or have a RDP server.
- SSH remote access server console.
- Iceweasel (fork of Firefox) and Internet browser.
- And Synaptic package manager graphical installation.
- Apt and Aptitude as package managers console mode installation.
And it even gets better as Gitbrew has recently tweeted that it has now started working on a graphics RSX driver, which is the biggest thing that is needed to get the PS3 up to par to the normal Linux-PC speed of computing.Now you can upgrade the Red Ribbon installation from the online official repository. You don’t need to reinstall the distribution again with every new CD published.
This update is only for the RC 4 or lower, It will be included on the next release of the LiveCD. The changes are detailed at the project wiki, on Change Log section.
You need connect the PS3 to internet, open a lxterminal and download the file:
Then, you can execute it:
sudo sh online-update-2011-07-05.sh
And wait until finished.
If while executing it asks:
You are running a kernel (version 2.6.38-powerpc64) and attempting to remove the same version. This is a potentially disastrous action. Not only will /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-powerpc64 be removed, making it impossible to boot it, (you will have to take action to change your boot loader to boot a new kernel), it will also remove all modules under the directory /lib/modules/2.6.38-powerpc64. Just having a copy of the kernel image is not enough, you will have to replace the modules too.
I repeat, this is very dangerous. If at all in doubt, answer Yes. If you know exactly what you are doing, and are prepared to hose your system, then answer No.
Do you want to abort removal now?
You must answer NO.
News Source: http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/07/red-ri...ory-available/