ModChipCentral

DigiTopZ #2

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Banned
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight007 View Post
    I was just looking at all of the cores in RetroArch, and I wonder - what systems are left to emulate? Other than N64, PS1, Saturn, etc. But seriously, what's left? I mean, WonderSwan? Never heard of it (aren't all of its games in Japanese?) How about some of the oddball Mednafen cores: Virtual Boy, Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket? Or some really retro systems like Atari and Commodore 64 (a bit before my time, though)?

The most "popular" system that RetroArch could probably emulate is the 32x. Now before the snickering begins, consider this list: Panasonic 3DO, Philips CD-i, Atari Jaguar, Nokia N-Gage. Ugh. Are there any other source ports like PrBoom for other PC games? Now DosBox would be interesting. The PS3 port is a bit clunky and underpowered; it'd be nice to be able to play more powerful games like Quake, Duke Nuken, and Grand Theft Auto that PS3 DosBox can't. But I suppose coding a joystick, mouse, and on-screen-keyboard into RetroArch wouldn't be fun (PrBoom ought to have an OSK but doesn't).

So other than updating/improving current cores, and adding a MAME core based on a slightly less ancient version, what's left for RetroArch to do?
    Damn, and I promised myself to stop responding in this thread - I'll make a one-post exception -

anyways - the Wonderswan core is already available in current-day RetroArch (v0.9.7) - perhaps you missed it.

MAME 0.78 right now is being worked on but Mortal Kombat 1/2/3 speed is very disappointing right now - so hopefully I can improve that.

There is a libretro dosbox port but without a dynarec it's going to be painfully slow on PS3 - probably just as slow as the Robo Hobo port.

What we need is

1) People capable of writing dynarec CPU cores for various systems. Libretro ports are now the ideal vehicle to work on since your work isn't just limited/confined to one single platform.
    2) A way to use dynarecs on PS3 - that could be either mprotect being available or the NX bit being disabled.
    Last edited by pete_uk; 11-13-2012 at 01:36 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Twinaphex For This Useful Post:

gDrive (11-10-2012), pete_uk (11-10-2012), PS3emulators (11-12-2012), STLcardsWS (11-10-2012)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I should mention that I am looking at RetroArch through a PS3 user's perspective. Sometimes I forget that RetroArch is multi-platform.

Oh, and when I say "a slightly less ancient version" I don't mean than as an insult. Obviously there is some technical reason why it's an old version.

I noticed the WonderSwan core, but it's such an obscure system (at least to me) that I was just wondering if there was plans for more obscure systems.

Just thought of another obscure Mednafen core: PC-FX

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    WonderSwan and WonderSwan color are Japanese, some games all Japanese language but some are in English. its kind of hit and miss with finding a English on the games, but there are titles in all english o those systems .they are all releases in Japan but final lap comes to mind. I played that one fine and is in English great little racer..

I would like to see some more retro systems that arent yet emulated on RetroArch.

Just some ideas: no way saying all them or demanding them. They would all be great but i am realistic as well with time.
    These all would seem possible in terms of the capitalizes on current PS3 situation with no dynarec, but i also realize the original port may cause issue :shrugs:

Atari ports (2600,5200,7800 Lynx ect..)
    ColecoVison
    IntelVision
    MSX (1&2)
    Virtual Boy
    Neo-Geo Pocket / Color
    C64
    Amiga
    PC-FX
    t

Other things maybe, though i suspect it would be more difficult with no dynarec and lack of emulators to ports that may be alot harder.
    3DO
    jaguar
    32x
    Last edited by STLcardsWS; 11-12-2012 at 12:47 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to STLcardsWS For This Useful Post:

pete_uk (11-13-2012)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Tried the Final Lap WonderSwan game - you're right, it's a fun little arcade-style racer. I've always loved racing games (arcade or sim), particulary F1 and IndyCar based ones.

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    there are some hidden gems on those.. I didnt mention this before but there is a color version and a black/white.

Crunchy Emu Compiler
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I'm still waiting for the day we get a good Amiga emulator for the PS3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pete_uk For This Useful Post:

STLcardsWS (11-13-2012)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Hmmm...seems RetroArch 0.98 beta is out for PC...hopefully this means a full version soon, it's been awhile...

Crunchy Emu Compiler
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    I'm at work ATM. I'll post a new compile when I'm home, in a few hours.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pete_uk For This Useful Post:

PS3emulators (Yesterday), STLcardsWS (Yesterday)

Crunchy Emu Compiler
    Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    Updated first post

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pete_uk For This Useful Post:

PS3emulators (Today), STLcardsWS (Yesterday)

Total Thanks Given
    Total Thanks Received
    Total Thanked Posts
    FYI: SEGA CD audio is fully functional now

Great job to genesis_plus_gx & RetroArch Developers. also to pete_uk for the compile update

16. The Following User Says Thank You to STLcardsWS For This Useful Post:

pete_uk (Today)

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920