Crunching the Latest PS3 Scene News!.

DigiTopZ #2

Hybrid View

Is Linux supported on REBUG REX (or D-REX) 4.46?

Hi

I'm actually using the E3 flasher with dual boot on the first PS3 slim model (CECH-2004A of 2009). On PS3 NOR I have OFW 4.46 while in the E3 NOR I have Rogero 4.46. I'd like to replace Rogero CFW with a CFW supporting also Linux boot. So my questions are:
    1) Does REBUG REX (or D-REX) 4.46 support Linux?
    2) If Linux is supported (question 1)), can someone provide me links explaining everything to do to configure REBUG 4.46 to allow Linux boot (if possible I'd like to have the possibility to boot REBUG and Linux on the same HDD ). Is there a Linux distribution that you suggest on REBUG?
    3) I'd like to enable the 8th SPE on PS3. Is this possible only on Linux (I remember there was a manager that allowed to change the syscom values) or does REBUG 4.46 provide also a tool to change syscom values such as the one I'd like to change?
    4) having you deep knwoledge of OFW/CWF do you know if 8th SPE is also provided by Sony SDK to games (so it can be used by games) if it is enabled in the syscom?

br,
    Antonio

you should look at the first post in this thread:

http://www.ps3crunch.net/forum/threa...d-AUG-2ND-2013

it says that all REX editions supported. In the toolbox, choose the options resize vflash (or nand) region to allow install of otheros. Then with petiboot (dtbImage) on usb stick use the toolbox option, install petitboot.

if you want to install linux to the hdd, you have to use a firmware that will make a partition for otheros (or patch REX), or else you can just install it to a usb device. A usb install is good enough for stuff that is quick and easy, like dump the b00tldr or get eid keys.

Which linux depends on what you want to do with it. Red Ribbon is debian based, so it's easy to set up a development environment. I have one version on hdd and other versions on usb sticks for testing and both work fine. Instructions are on www.ps3devwiki.com

No, there is not an option in REX to change the number of processing elements.

Thanks Jock!
    For me it is ok to install Linux on another USB stick (I have USB HDD and stick). I will try with Red Ribbon first. I will use the application manager (if I remember well that is the tool allowing to change syscom values). I hope the SPE will be recognized by Linux. I hope it is also used by Sony SDK.

br,
    Antonio

just a question, after installing and booting on petitboot it seems I have to proceed running the script create_hdd_region.sh. It seems it will create the partition on the same HDD of GameOS. Is it correct? If yes, How I can proceed to install Linux on USB stick or external USB HDD?

br,
    Antonio

from reading this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberskunk
    OTHEROS++ SUPPORT
    OtherOS++ is supported by all REBUG REX EDITIONS and will detect your existing OtherOS HDD partition.
    However none of the REBUG REX EDITIONS have emer_init.self patched (create smaller GameOS partition). We are working on a solution to this from GameOS.

In the meantime if you do want to create an OtherOS partition you have two options:

1: Use a 3.55 firmware that already has emer_init.self patched to the size you want.
    2: Patch REBUG 3.55.x REX EDITION in PS3MFW Builder

If you choose option 2 we highly recommend that you ONLY patch emer_init.self. Also the resulting PUP will only be able to be installed on 3.55 firmware as the spkg_hdr will be mismatched...
    It's for installing oos to the harddrive. Did you resize your game partition so that it doesn't take up the entire hdd? IIRC, you have to do that first to make free space for create_hdd_region.sh to create the linux partition.

If you want to install Red Ribbon to usb stick, burn the live cd and stick it in then boot up petitboot. It will appear as one of the choices in petitboot: otheros...powerpc64....something like that. Select it and hit enter, message on screen: system going down....(that's petitboot going down before the live cd loads up). Once the Red Ribbon desktop appears, you can play with it or click on the icon for install (it's there on the desktop) to install to usb. Just follow the prompts.

If petitboot gets stuck going down, just unplug the usb devices until the linux desktop appears. (a few keyboards/controllers cause it to stall unloading)

there is a little bit of information on the spe and linux at http://techbliss.org some applications specify which spu to use so I suppose you can specify which ones you want to use if you're creating a game.
    Last edited by Jock O'Strap; 08-23-2013 at 10:16 AM.

I don't need (I prefer not to change HDD containing CFW) to install Red Ribbon (or any other Linux) on the internal HDD. So if I understood well, to install Red Ribbon on the USB stick (maybe also external USB HDD) I only need to burn the installation image on a CD and plug also an USB stick. Petitboot will give me the possibility to boot from the CD. After the installation process starts, I can choose the USB stick as the target of the installation. Did I understand correctly? If so, please can you also provide me the link were I can download the Red Ribbon image (on psdevwiki, Red Ribbon is not provided). If there is also a command to be provided on petiboot to reboot from CD, can you also provide the command?

thanks a lot