Crunching the Latest PS3 Scene News!.

DigiTopZ #2

ps2 FMCB aka (Free McBoot) v1.9 released

It now supports the Protokernel consoles (with some issues), the HDD OSD and the PSX (DVR unit).

The next-gen version of FMCB v1.9 now supports the HDD unit (with FHDB, the HDD-enabled version of FMCB). FMCB v1.8C is to become the stable version of FMCB, until the v1.90 series is fully tested.

For those still enjoying the PlayStation 2 console, there is finally a newer version of the world-famous Free-McBoot, and it supports the usage of the Official Sony HDD add-on that alot of retro users have installed on their PHAT PS2 consoles, along with some more improvements and smaller size, but it still in the 'testing stage' so be prepared for small glitches and bugfixes over the coming weeks.

What is FMCB?

Free Memory Card Boot (FMCB) is a homebrew software which is designed to setup your PlayStation 2 console and provide you with a means of launching homebrew software, without the need for any extra hardware, modifications to your console or dangerous tricks like the legendary swap trick.

FMCB was originally developed by Neme and Jimmikaelkael, but they have been kind enough to provide me with access to its source code, for me to make some improvements to it.

What is FHDB?

Free Harddisk Drive Boot (FHDB) is basically FMCB that gets installed onto the PlayStation 2 console's HDD unit. It does everything like FMCB does, but is meant to be used with the Sony HDDOSD (Browser update v2.00).

Patched/modified copies of the HDDOSD may not work, although non-Sony disks are supported by FHDB itself.

***Whether the hacked HDD OSD supports non-Sony disks or not depends on whether it was modified to support non-Sony disks.***

Modifying or getting a pre-modified copy of the HDDOSD is not under this project, which is why that topic will not be discussed here.

What does FMCB v1.9 offer?

For mere humans:

1. Smaller, faster and more stable. :P
    2. The HDD unit is now supported.
    3. The "Early Japanese"/PCMCIA units (SCPH-10000, SCPH-15000 and SCPH-18000) are fully supported.
    4. Chinese consoles are now supported (e.g. SCPH-50009).
    5. When you leave the CD/DVD tray ejected, FMCB/FHDB will not stall.
    6. Your play history will now be updated (The towers in the background of the "Sony computer entertainment" screen should continue to grow taller and greater in numbers)

Technical changes:

1. Initialization code has been cut down.
    2. Some IRX modules (init.irx and chkesr.irx) have been removed (superceded by code that runs from the EE, like their Sony originals).
    3. DVD player selection code has been replaced with one similar to the one used by Sony.
    4. The console initialization code has been replaced with a Sony-like version.
    5. CNF parsing code has been optimized.
    6. The memory map has been adjusted slightly, so everything now fits below Sony's idea of "user memory" (below 0x00100000).
    7. Support for the Protokernel and all HDD OSDs have been added.
    8. (For the HDDOSD version of FMCB only) ELFs can be booted from any partition on the HDD. The format of the path is :. (e.g. hdd0:__sysconf_fs:/FMCB/FMCB_configurator.elf).
      This can be easily set using the included FMCB/FHDB configurator.
    9. The CD/DVD drive will now be stopped if a normal ELF is started (Under the assumption that most homebrew ELFs probably won't ever use the drive).
    10. The user's history file (the file which affects the towers within the "Sony Computer Entertainment" startup screen) will now be updated whenever Playstation/Playstation 2 game/software discs are launched, as well as DVD video discs.
    11. Reloading the OSD from within the OSD triggers a full reload of FMCB, because the protokernel OSDs seem to become really unstable after a few resets.
      (I couldn't find out why... so a full memory wipe and reload by the kernel is probably the best way to do it).
    12. The location of ESR will now be checked only when ESR is requested to be loaded.
    13. The embedded EELOAD module has been cleaned up, and loads at 0x00082000 instead (Like rom0:EELOAD does).
    14. FMCB has been split into two. The part of FMCB which remains resident will be copied into its place during runtime, allowing the initialization part of it to have the entire PlayStation 2 for initialization and drawing something nice on the screen (Not done at the moment as it makes FMCB quite a fair bit larger).
    15. Full support for the SCPH-10000 and SCPH-15000. Not only will it patch up the SCPH-10000 v1.00 kernel fully (Applies OSD argument-passing patch), it also includes its own HDD support modules and can act as a replacement for the Sony system driver update.
    16. Prototype support for the PSX. Its OSD is not supported, meaning that there will be no hacked OSD for the PSX.
    17. Supports non-Sony HDD units (Support for non-Sony HDD units within the HDD OSD/browser v2.00 update depends on the HDD OSD itself).
    18. New FMCB configurator program which supports the HDD unit.
    19. Added support for the Chinese consoles (Magicgate region 09, folder letter C. e.g. SCPH-50009).

Please read the included README file for information regarding limitations/known issues and other important notes!

Before posting/asking questions, please read this question and answer article which I spent a little time writing up: FMCB v1.90 release FAQ

Download Link: FMCB v1.90: FMCBInstaller_190_bin.7z
    NEWS SOURCE: FMCB v1.9 series release thread (via) PSX-Scene

-=( Gary from O.P.A. / Your Master Phoenix Admin / MaxConsole / PS3Crunch / 360Crunch / PSVitaGuru / WiiUNewz )=-

Here's the thing. If Jimmikaelkael didn't release it, in my mind it isn't official. He is the originator or that exploit as well as the main coder of all versions from start to 1.8b. What I want to know is this version built off of the 1.8b sources or done by some hack job bull shit like JESUSoCHRIST pulled from 1.7? And who done it?
    If you need help, please use the forums, not my PM inbox

Bootlegninja - Doing shit the wrong way for the right reasons online since 2005.
    And still throwing two middle fingers up cause I don't give a fu*k!

well i trust this :

Quote Originally Posted by SP193
    FMCB was originally developed by Neme and Jimmikaelkael, but they have been kind enough to provide me with access to its source code, for me to make some improvements to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootlegninja View Post
    Here's the thing. If Jimmikaelkael didn't release it, in my mind it isn't official. He is the originator or that exploit as well as the main coder of all versions from start to 1.8b. What I want to know is this version built off of the 1.8b sources or done by some hack job bull shit like JESUSoCHRIST pulled from 1.7? And who done it?
    Well Jimmikaelkael trusted him enough to give him access to the source code.

Also SP193 has been around in the 'scene' for a long time, as you can see here:

http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/projects.htm

He has a good amount of nice projects completed on the PS2 including an HDLInstaller and FMCB Gui.

-=( Gary from O.P.A. / Your Master Phoenix Admin / MaxConsole / PS3Crunch / 360Crunch / PSVitaGuru / WiiUNewz )=-

Thanks. Been in contact over at psx-scene using my non-banned account.

Bootlegninja - Doing shit the wrong way for the right reasons online since 2005.

Just installed on a DMS3/v4 fat, works fine and a little faster on booting.

Kinda OT but looks like I need to do some reading about games on HDD with the browser2.00... are we at a point where you can install a 100-200GB hdd and use it as an official one?
    In time, Fire will fade ... and only Dark will remain

Quote Originally Posted by keropi666 View Post
    Just installed on a DMS3/v4 fat, works fine and a little faster on booting.

Kinda OT but looks like I need to do some reading about games on HDD with the browser2.00... are we at a point where you can install a 100-200GB hdd and use it as an official one?
    they are working on a 48-bit version. It's alpha right now.

^ good to know, thanks for the heads-up!

In time, Fire will fade ... and only Dark will remain